Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Bereans: Apologetics Research Ministry

The Bereans: Apologetics Research Ministry

Former ADD Member Turns Christian Preacher

Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:29:41 +0800

Justyn,

Well, I’m 28 years old. I began listening to Bro. Eli way back in 1992. I’m still in high school then. Afterwards, I was really convinced of his teachings because of his rhetoric and logical explanations. On July 9, 1999 I decided to undergo the indoctrination and eventually joined the ADD, “Church of God in Christ Jesus, the Pillar and Ground of Truth.” It was Sister Cathy de la Pena in Quiapo who eventually indoctrinated me and I would attend the session enthusiastically and zealously. I became a member and attended Ang Local ng Parang in our area.

Since I was convinced that Bro. Eli was really a man of God, I never had any doubts. Anyway, as I attended the Pasasalamat in Apalit, Pampanga, I began to think rationally that why is it that in a certain church sermon around August of 1999, Bro. Eli lambasted and suspended a member who questions the disbursement of funds for the making of the school (yun yatang La Vertud School if I'm not mistaken) Parang hindi ko nakita sa kanya yung pinakamahalagang teaching sa Bible: Love. But you know, since I’m afraid to question him because he seems infallible and unquestionable, I decided to continue. Nung first time naman akong umatend ng gawain sa local ng [deleted], naka shorts ako nun but with all honesty, di ko alam na bawal. Na-offend ako ng pinagsabihan ako ng presidente ng locale na, "BAWAL yan!" In a loud voice, not knowing na di ko naman alam na bawal; I was terribly offended.

One interesting part of my story is that in January of 2000, I had a girlfriend. It was part of our teaching that eventually dapat ang girlfriend mo kaanib din ng Iglesia (ng Dios) kung miyembro ka na. The problem is, my girlfriend is a member naman of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (Mormons). It was the first time I was terribly in love. So much in love with this girl. But you know, it was a struggle kasi my girlfriend said, “I will not marry outside the Church.” So that we will be eternally sealed. The manga-gawa adviced me na isama sa mga gawain yung girlfriend ko para malaman niya katotohanan while my girlfriend enticed me to join her. So, litong lito ako. Isip ba o puso papairalin ko.

Then, I decided not to attend ADD Pasasalamat muna. The mangagawa visited me always. Tinatanong ako kung bakit di na ko umaatend and told me nagkakasala ako spiritually niyan. Palaging tinatanong, I remember kung kumain ako ng dinuguan, nanood ng sine, o nakikain sa piyesta kasi kasalanang ikamamatay daw yun.

It was also a burden for me kasi by early January, my brother was also engaged into drugs. Nagsa-shabu pala yung kuya ko kaya spiritually and physically down ang family. My Father and mother were eventually attending the [deleted] Christian Ministry in [deleted]. A born-again church here. They were patiently attending it. Nakita ko na talagang they were constantly praying and attending the church to pray for us.

Then, a miracle happend which I can’t explain. Ilang beses nagrehabilitate yung kuya ko. Pero walang effect. But suddenly, he saw the Bible, tapos nanalangin yung kuya ko. “Kung totoo ka Lord, ipakita mo sa akin ang layunin mo. Baguhin mo ko” These were the exact words of my Kuya. Tapos biglaan eh. He read the Bible everyday, and it changed him. Walang rehabilitation, walang intervention ng tao. Nung gumaling kuya ko he kept on attending the fellowship and he was truly changed. I introduced him to Bro. Eli on television and often told him Bro. Eli will lead us toward salvation to God.

I am often very hot to engage him in a heated debate. But I saw the change in my kuya. He has a gentle spirit. He never engaged me in a debate and often said that how wonderful Christ has changed him. Natatawa ako kasi parang ang bait bait pero di naman niya memorize bible. Kasi ang basehan namin sa ADD kahit na mabait ka basta hindi mo maipagtanggol ang paniniwala mo, sa demonyo ka pa din.

Then on April 21, 2001, Nagusap kami ng kuya ko. Nanonood kami ng ADD noon sa TV Then he told me to observe Bro. Eli. May ka-debate si Bro. Eli noon. While we were watching my kuya opened the Bible sa 1 Cor. 13:4. Tungkol sa “love.” Sabi niya obserbahan mo ha:

Love is patient. Tingnan mo ha. Is he patient?

Bro. Eli: “Talo ka na! Talo ka na! Talo ka na!”

Love is kind:

Bro. Eli: “Gago, ka! Tarantado, Walanghiya ka. Matinding kaululan yan”.

It is not envy, it is not proud:

Bro. Eli: “Bobo ka sa Biblia!” Kalbularan! (refering to Ka Bularan of INC 1914)

It is not rude:

Bro. Eli: “Lahat ng born again na pastor, matatakaw kayo sa pera! Mga Aso kayo!”

It is not self-seeking:

Bro. Eli: “Ako lang ang mangangaral na mahirap. Lahat sila mga milyonaryo, bilyonaryo pa nga!”

It is not easily angered:

Bro. Eli: “Gxxx! Gxxx KA! TALO KA NA! TALO KA NA!.”

Na offend ako sa kuya ko nun. Then sabi ko talunin muna niya si Bro. Eli kung gusto niya ko mapaniwala. Sa samahan namin kumakalinga kami sa mga matandang balo at mahihirap at ulila. Sabi ng kuya ko: 1 Cor. 13: 3, “If I give all I possess to the poor and surrendered my body to the flames yet have not loved I AM NOTHING.”

Tapos sabi ko eh, bobo naman ang mga born again sa Biblia. 2 o 3 sitas lang ang alam mali pa pakahulugan! Then my kuya uttered: 1 Cor. 13:2, “If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all the mysteries and ALL KNOWLEDGE , yet I have not loved, IAM NOTHING!”

Those were the opening verses na pinag-isipan ko buong gabi. Then on May 2, 2001, I cried and accepted the Lord Christ as my Saviour. I informed my girlfriend and she broke-up with me. Ayaw na niya kasi di ako magpa-Mormons. Ayaw ko din kasi meron silang Book of Mormon (sic) and hindi matanggap ng budhi ko ang turo ng mga Mormons. These events were the worst in my life. Hindi ako makatulog. Nahulog weight ko. Nawala ang mga friends ko sa ADD and nananaginip ako palagi na mapapahamak ako kasi umalis ako sa ADD. Puro fear ang ginawa ng kaaway sa akin. Then, pinuntahan ako ng mangagawa and told me: “Sino ba ang pinagmamalaki mong sinamahan mo”. Sabi ko, “I am watching the 700 Club.” Tapos, sabi ng manggagawa “Naku puro pera lang yan si Pat Robertson!” Tapos nanlilisik yung mata niya at sinabi sa akin, may ibang espiritu daw akong dala. Pero, I think because I have the Holy Spirit nakita ko yung ibang panlilisik ng mata nung mangagawa. Dun ko nakita personally na ibang spirit nga ang dala dala niya.

I really saw it in the eyes of the mangagawa, Justyn. Siguro nagalit ang spirit na nasa kanya kasi I have been with Christ and the Spirit of Christ dwells in me. The gentle spirit.

Sa ngayon, nagse-serve ako sa church namin as preacher din. Telling of my wondrous tale. Kaya nga I’m happy I can relate my story to you. I really wanted to join your group. At the same time I’m also a full time professor at the University of Santo Tomas, sa [deleted].

Till next time.

Danny [Not the true name]

Note: Some items have been deleted for security purposes. There are also some minor grammar and spelling corrections for readability.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home