Friday, September 09, 2005

Slashdot | Comparing MySQL and PostgreSQL 2: "Get over yourself. If a DBA fails to 'recongnize their lack of skills', maybe they're doing just fine with the management tools. If his skills are so lacking he'll screw up his own database eventually.

Creating graphical tools to enable more people to do more things easier is a part of Microsoft's business model. SQL Server Enterprise Manager etc. are just examples of where they've succeeded here.

Personally I'd love to see an open source equivalent of these tools, the offerings I've looked at so far are unfortunately lacking.

And don't give me crap about being a click-and-drool reboot monkey. I'm sick of typing SQL to get things done, when I can grant permissions by picking users from a list and ticking the right boxes.

Did you use telnet to post your slashdot comment? No, you used a graphical browser. Because you don't want to type the http request, and the graphical browser presents the HTML to you in a way that is more natural and effective for you.

Seeing me use Enterprise Manager does not make my co-workers think that they could do my job just as easily. They do not end up thinking any 'fool' can do it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home