Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I'm sorry, Mr. Jobs, I just prefer WinAmp! | Ask MetaFilter: "Wireless networking and music: Apple AirPort (or something else?) meets WinAmp...

I'm running a Gateway 200X with Windows XP, and use WinAmp for my music needs. I've been debating getting some AirPort units to set up around my apartment both for wireless connections and for playing music. The problem? Apple says that AirTunes only works with iTunes, which I'm not interested in using.

What are my options here? I've found JustePort, but I'm not sure how well it works. Does anyone have any experience? The, ah, technical guide is a bit lacking. Is it easy to put in place?

Or, alternatively, do I have any options I haven't thought of? Thanks!
posted by NotMyselfRightNow to computers & internet at 6:43 PM PST

at the moment, streaming songs from winamp directly to the airport is not possible. even with justeport, winamp still needs to be able to encode your music to ALAC in realtime. apple has not made available the tools to make this happen, at the moment.

here is a complicated hack you can try out though, from an old winamp forums thread:

'1) Run WinAmp with the Shoutcast broadcasting plugin. This allows you to stream audio, including system audio and soundcard output, to ...

2) A Shoutcast server - you can run one locally or on another machine.

3) Run iTunes and connect to the Shoutcast stream.

4) Tell iTunes to send the audio to the Airport Express.'

unfortunately, you will still have to run itunes in order to make this happen--you'll just be using winamp as the frontend. i feel your pain, as this is also the same reason why i've yet to buy an airport. as soon as i can use winamp without having to employ such a complicated hack, i'll be there"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home