Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Google Answers: What's the easiest way to a flat tummy?:

Great topic. Especially since there has been so much recent talk of
different diets: Atkins, The Zone, extreme low fat etc. And just
because I mention those please do not think of that as an endorsement.
In fact I think that those can be dangerous and should be discussed
thoroughly with a doctor beforehand. And all the abdominal exercise
machines on TV....

But having gained too much weight during college and recently working
to get rid of it I did a lot of research and then action. I don’t have
a lot of links to add as I did my research a year ago and did not
bookmark. But some things I read and observed in my 35 pound weight
loss (male BTW):

You cannot target an area to lose weight. Fat is excess energy that is
stored and your body will use it from all over.

Example I have noticed I lost an inch at my mid thigh, an inch at my
waist, 1.5 inches at my stomach area, and my watch now fits loose. My
face skin has less stored weight and my skin all over feels thinner.

The reading I did showed that men store weight in the chest and
stomach typically. Women store their weight in the hips and upper
legs. This can be different for different people but that is typical.
I remember that the reading said that where it is first burned can be
different and is programmed for each person genetically. You will
first use fat from the same region each time you go back down in
weight. That is if you let yourself get heavy again.

Unfortunately I seem to be losing it last in my stomach which was my
worst area. This is was like my previous experience as I remember
being in good shape but still having a bit of gut. When in high school
I used to do tons of sit-ups and I never knew why it didn’t help. I
needed less fats and sugars in diet and more exercise that burns lots
of calories.

Any cardio is good but do what is comfortable and healthy for you. A
trainer and doctor is a good idea to get target heart rates and to
help with diet and weight lifting. Yes I said weight lifting even for
a woman. If you change to having more muscle you will burn more energy
even when just sitting still. 10 pounds of muscle will burn 150
calories and day just to stay fed and healthy.

That is an easy way to look better, stay in a diet, and burn energy is
to add some muscle. I notice now that even if I spurge a meal in diet
or don't exercise for a few days I wont gain weight as now I have more
muscle. I added an inch in the bicep BTW. My legs are stronger and my
back feels better. Just get on the plan to better your exercise and
your diet. Everyone wants a magic diet or exercise but the trick for
me has been good healthy meals, veggies and water for snacks, Cutting
down on sugars, and 30 - 45 minutes of exercise 5 times a week. Not
very tricky, not expensive, and I feel great. I now am trying to
decide how far down in weight to go and what new activities to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home