Saturday, October 28, 2006

Filipino English can be hard to understand at first: "P.S. Did you know that there is at least one Tagalog word in contemporary American English? It's 'boondocks', derived from the Tagalog word 'bundok', meaning 'remote places' to Americans, and 'mountain' to Filipinos. This word was apparently brought back by the turn of the century soldiers or teachers.

Joe added:
Am reading your site and saw the reference to 'boondocks' as a filipino word taken up in common English.

I'll give you 3 more:

Yoyo, actually a filipino invention and known widely by its original name.

to run amuck (amock?) Amok is actually a filipino word (malay origin) and means the same in English - to lose control and act dangerously / crazy.

Poontang - As a kid I often heard this referred to when talking about women or sex, as in 'I'm gonna get me some poontang (pussy)' or 'that was a sweet piece of poontang' referring to a sexy girl. I never gave it any thought until I learned to speak Tagalog and realized that a common slur on someone is 'Puntang ina mo' - your mother is a prostitute (Puta). I'm sure the navy/airforce coined the word poontang and brought it home - lucky us (very sarcastically)."

Azil further commented:
One of the other peculiarities of Filipino English (from an American viewpoint) is that in some cases the same phrase can have a nearly opposite meaning. For example, "every now and then", which Americans use to mean "occasionally", is used my Filipinos to mean "often".

I was once managing an office and a Filipino employee complained to me that her supervisor was checking on her work "every now and then." I was confused, because I thought this was pretty reasonable behavior on a supervisor's part. It turned out, of course, that she felt the supervisor was constantly bugging her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home