Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Slashdot | Vista to Allow "One Significant" Hardware Upgrade: "My Windows activation experience
(Score:5, Informative)
by rehtonAesoohC (954490) on Monday October 30, @03:31PM (#16647623)
I purchased one copy of Windows XP Professional a long time ago, and since then I have installed it on at least 5 machines of mine or family.

I did upgrade my computer at one point, and the activation failed, so I called Windows support. I was quickly connected to some outsourced support technician who asked me the CD key of my XP CD, as well as the serial number and release (I think?) number. After giving him this info, he gave me a new CD key, which I assumed to be one shot only, like the previous one I had.

I have since learned that this is apparently a get-out-of-jail-free CD key, because I am able to install the same CD onto any machine with any hardware configuration and always pass Windows activation. And if Vista will be more lenient than XP was, then heck, I'm more than happy!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home