Tuesday, June 14, 2005

NewsForge | Linus compares Linux and BSDs

NewsForge | Linus compares Linux and BSDs: "To me, it's largely a mentality issue. I said 'good enough,' and that's really telling. The BSD people (and keep in mind that I'm obviously generalizing) are often perfectionists. They hone something specific for a long time, and then they frown on anything that doesn't meet their standards of perfection. The OpenBSD single-minded focus on security is a good example.

In contrast, one of my favorite mantras is 'perfect is the enemy of good,' and the idea is that 'good enough' is actually a lot more flexible than some idealized perfection. The world simply isn't black-and-white, and I recognize a lot of grayness. I often find black-and-white people a bit stupid, truth be told."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home