Sunday, April 09, 2006

kung hindi dahil kay yoko, maari pa nag-songwriting partner uli si john and paul

Interview with May Pang (8-1-05):

E.C.: That's why I feel that there is a need to have your book [LOVING JOHN] reprinted, if for no other reason than to counter some of these myths.

May Pang: Perhaps someday. I'd like to clarify all the timelines. John did not return to the Dakota until February 1975. After the show with Elton in 1974, we took Julian to Disneyland. So, if somebody was a real fan they would realize that the timing is off. We hung out with Bowie, and they collaborated on "Fame" in January 1975.

When we parted it wasn't something that we had planned on. When he came back to tell me, he said it would help his immigration problems - Yoko had convinced him that that was the best way to do it. She also told him that he could still see me.

E.C.: She had more control over him that way…

May Pang: Yes. And slowly, I wasn't supposed to be around anymore.

E.C.: Another little known fact was that he did hang out with Paul again…

May Pang: He wanted to write with Paul again. He asked me if I thought it was a good idea. I told him I thought it was a great idea, "because you two want to do it. There are no contracts, no pressure. Just the most amazing songwriting team ever getting together to create some musical magic." Solo they were great, but together they were unbeatable. He thought about it and he said, "You know what? Let's go down and visit Paul and Linda.

E.C.: In New Orleans? [During the making of VENUS AND MARS]

May Pang: Yes, in New Orleans. Later that week on a Friday afternoon, Yoko called John to say, "today was the day, the stars are right. Gotta come today, we've gotta do this 'cure' to get you to quit smoking." My gut feeling was telling me he shouldn't go. It didn't sit well with me. John saw that I was really upset. He goes, "Let's not fight about it - I'll be home for dinner. Whatever place you wanna go for dinner. And then let's make the plans to go down to New Orleans." And I knew…when he walked out. You know you have a gut feeling? I knew something was going to change.

I told Paul - about 15 years later when I had a chance to see him in England. I said to him, "Listen, for what it's worth, I just want you to know that John really loved you." He said, "Oh, I know that." Then I said, "You know, we were going to come down to New Orleans because he wanted to write with you again." He looked at me and said, "Oh yeah…that would have been great." Now I know he didn't even want to entertain that thought. Coming down to New Orleans? I could tell that he thought I was just being nice.

A year had gone by and I get a call from Paul's office to invite me to his annual Buddy Holly party in New York. So I went and I waved as they came in - and Paul rushed over and said, "Linda, tell her, tell her!" I said, "Tell me what?" "You know how Derek Taylor always sells memorabilia? Well, we got one of his postcards from John." And I said, "What was it?" On the postcard, John wrote "thinking of visiting the Macs in New Orleans". It was then that Paul believed it.

E.C.: So the postcard proved it to Paul?

May Pang: Right! And I didn't even know the postcard existed. And Paul got it. John had written to Derek, he always used to write notes and letters to his friends. Wouldn't that have been great?

Poscript: One can only wonder "what if" John had made it to New Orleans to record with Paul in 1975! I've always wondered about a line of lyrics from the song "Venus and Mars" [the title track of Paul's album started at the New Orleans sessions, recorded in 1975]. Is the "good friend of mine" who "follows the stars" about John?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home